Stadler to supply 378 new carriages for Greater Anglia services
- Stadler will manufacture 378 carriages and 58 trains to be used for InterCity services between London and Norwich, the Stansted Express and regional East Anglia services.
- The new trains will offer a significantly better passenger experience with Wi-Fi, power points throughout and easier platform access.
- Abellio is investing a total of £1.54bn on new trains to improve services and passenger experiences.
Abellio is investing £1.54 billion to improve services and customer experiences. The investment will deliver 1,043 new carriages on Britain’s tracks. 378 of these carriages will be supplied by Stadler with an investment of £610 million. The order came following the decision by the Department for Transport to select Abellio as the successful bidder for the next East Anglia rail franchise.
The new trains are being designed to provide a significantly enhanced passenger experience that will transform rail travel for the people of Norfolk and Suffolk. The trains will be equipped with air-conditioning, ‘2x2’ seating, Wi-Fi and power points throughout the train, a low floor design to allow for easier access to platform from the train and; passenger information systems with real-time information.
The new trains will run on the following routes:
- InterCity services between London and Norwich
- Stansted Express airport services from London Liverpool St/Stratford - Tottenham Hale - Stansted Airport
- Key Regional services in East Anglia